nanog mailing list archives

Re: Large BGP Communities beacon in the wild

From: James Bensley <jwbensley () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 22:28:21 +0100

On 27 October 2016 at 16:47, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
I don’t mind the move to 32, but I hope the vendors are getting appropriately smacked for squatting and that those
attributes are not allowed to be misappropriated by the vendors.

We have a standards process for a reason and vendors simply squatting on numbers is a violation of that process which
cannot be allowed to stand unless we wish to establish that as precedent and simply allow vendors to claim numbers as
they wish.

This already happened with the BSD community in their implementation of a pseudo-VRRP like capability and now two
different vendors have abused BGP path attributes.

This is not a good path for us to continue.

Owen

Here here!

Name and shame, it is not acceptable!

James.