nanog mailing list archives

Re: Spitballing IoT Security

From: Mike Meredith <mike.meredith () port ac uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 10:04:55 +0100

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016 07:59:00 +0200, Eliot Lear <lear () ofcourseimright com>
may have written:
Well yes.  uPnP is a problem precisely because it is some random device
asserting on its own that it can be trusted to do what it wants.  Had

From my own personal use (and I'm aware that this isn't a general
solution), I'd like a device that sat on those uPnP requests until I logged
into the admin interface to review them. Now if you could automate _me_
then it might become more generally useful :-

uPnP(ssh, for admin access) -> f/w

f/w -> uPnP device: Don't be silly.

But if instead of a pet feeder we're talking about a home file sharing
system or a video camera where you don't want to share the feed into the
cloud?  There will be times when people want inbound connections.  We
need an architecture that supports them.

As someone who manages an application-based firewall, every problem looks
like it would be easier to solve using an application-based firewall :)

--
Mike Meredith, University of Portsmouth
Principal Systems Engineer, Hostmaster, Security, and Timelord!