nanog mailing list archives

Re: Questions re: VPN protocols globally

From: Eric Germann <ekgermann () semperen com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2016 12:06:07 -0400

IPSec and corporate.

Customers will connect to their respective regional sites separately.  Any ITAR concerns there?

On Oct 5, 2016, at 12:01 PM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 11:15 PM, Eric Germann <ekgermann () semperen com <mailto:ekgermann () semperen com>> wrote:
I’ve been charged with building a global VPN as an overlay on top of a certain 3 letter company who also sells lots
of stuff.

you say 'vpn' do you mean 'mpls vpn' or 'ipsec vpn over intertubes' ?

We’re looking at

US East
US West
US Central (eventually)
Brazil
Singapore
Frankfurt
Ireland
Sydney
Maybe Canada
Maybe India (outsourcesrs)

In the planning stages now and wondering if there are any protocols I need to stay away from ITAR wise with this list
of countries.

Contemplating Suite B with GCM, etc and AES acceleration.

most places dont' really care about encryption if your use is 'for corporate use', not providing use by external
parties (internet access sorts of things), I believe.