nanog mailing list archives

Re: Request for comment -- BCP38

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 01:25:31 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laszlo Hanyecz" <laszlo () heliacal net>

If you have links from both ISP A and ISP B and decide to send traffic
out ISP A's link sourced from addresses ISP B allocated to you, ISP A
*should* drop that traffic on the floor.  There is no automated or
scalable way for ISP A to distinguish this "legitimate" use from
spoofing; unless you consider it scalable for ISP A to maintain
thousands if not more "exception" ACLs to uRPF and BCP38 egress
filters to cover all of the cases of customers X, Y, and Z sourcing
traffic into ISP A's network using IPs allocated to them by other ISPs?

This is a legitimate and interesting use case that is broken by BCP38.
The effectiveness of BCP38 at reducing abuse is dubious, but the
benefits of asymmetric routing are well understood.  Why should everyone
have to go out of their way to break this.. it works fine if you just
don't mess with it.

Let me see if I have your argument straight:

In order to enable an "interesting" use case that is used by maybe well under
1% of end nodes not in PI address space, we should decide *not* to do
something which makes it much easier to protect attack targets against
well over 75% of incoming attacks of ridiculous (>OC-12) bandwidth?

Is that what you're advocating?

No.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com