nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: "Read Receipts"

From: Larry Sheldon <larrysheldon () cox net>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 19:03:36 -0600

I avoided the other off charter bait, but this is a red dot to me.

On 11/6/2016 19:59, Patrick wrote:
Over at Language Hat, they are trying to establish the common
pronunciation of "read receipts" [1]

To me, they've always just been "DSNs" or "MDNs", however, according to
rfc2298, their history goes back further.

Of those who lived that history, and actually heard or said "read
receipts", did you pronounce "read" as "reed" or as "red"?

I always pronounce them "More danged spam leaking thru the filters" but when I test-read (red) the question, R E A D came out "read (reed)".

The burning questions we have to deal with these days,
--
"Everybody is a genius.  But if you judge a fish by
its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole

--Albert Einstein

From Larry's Cox account.