nanog mailing list archives

Re: BFD on back-to-back connected BGP-speakers

From: Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 21:57:28 +0200

On 29 November 2016 at 20:23, Hugo Slabbert <hugo () slabnet com> wrote:

Hey,

- eBGP with peering to interface addresses (not loopback)
- no multi-hop
- direct back-to-back connections (no intermediate devices except patch
panels)

Possible failure scenarios where I could see this helping would be fat
fingering (filters implemented on one or the other side drops traffic from
the peer) or e.g. something catastrophic that causes the control plane to go
away without any last gasp to the peer.

Or is adding BFD into the mix in this type of setup getting into increasing
effort/complexity (an additional protocol) for dimishing returns?

If you have HW liveliness detection and fast-failover, I think BFD
probably will just reduce availability due its failures being more
probable than the edge cases in your setup.
I personally would not run BFD here.

--
  ++ytti