nanog mailing list archives

Re: rfc 1812 third party address on traceroute

From: Hugo Slabbert <hugo () slabnet com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 09:52:00 -0700

On Tue 2016-May-31 09:08:42 -0700, Octavio Alvarez <octalnanog () alvarezp org> wrote:

On 05/30/2016 10:03 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
rfc1812 says

   4.3.2.4 ICMP Message Source Address

   Except where this document specifies otherwise, the IP source address
   in an ICMP message originated by the router MUST be one of the IP
   addresses associated with the physical interface over which the ICMP
   message is transmitted.  If the interface has no IP addresses
   associated with it, the router's router-id (see Section [5.2.5]) is
   used instead.

some folk have interpreted this to mean that, if a router R has three
interfaces

               .-----------------.
               |                 |
    S ---------| A      R        |
               |               C |--------- (toward S)
               |                 |
               `-----------------'

of course, simpletons such as i would desire the source of the time
exceeded message to be A.  after all, this is the interface to which i
sent the icmp with the TTL to expire.

Do you mean the source address or the source interface?

I'm not sure if you mean that, if sent through C it should have the
source addres of A, or that it should actually be sent through A
regardless of the routing table (which sounds better to me).

How is the latter better? What guarantees are there that the adjacent L3 device on R's interface A has a route for S and if such a route exists that it doesn't simply point at R? As Randy so eloquently put it:

(yes, virginia, the internet is highly asymmetric)

Octavio.

--
Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo () slabnet com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal