nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cost-effectivenesss of highly-accurate clocks for NTP

From: Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 15:21:02 +0000

I have deployed rubidium-disciplined clocks at cellular carriers, where money is no object (look at your cellphone
bill), typically for $20K-$100K for redundant clocks. The holdover time on these is supposed to be days, but we've
never tested that. I think I'd better.

But a more critical deployment of rubidium clocks is in cash-strapped public safety institutions, such as local police
dispatch centers. Timing is crucial for the squad car communication systems, which these days are all digital, based on
wireless T1/T3 trunks to remote repeaters. The clocking on these trunks can't drift much before voice communication
fails due to repeater outages. The telecom gear has OXCO clocks that can provide a few hours holdover. A rubidium clock
onsite provides coverage for longer outages.

In these installations I have tested GPS outages of up to a week without enough clock drift to knock out the Tx links.
I've never gone longer than that though, so I don't know the actual breaking point. But if you lose that rubidium
clock, things go south in a less than a day.

The cash-strapping comes into play when municipal bean counters eyeball the rubidium clock(s) and start thinking they
can get by with a cheaper substitute.

The upshot is that there are many real-world situations where expensive clock discipline is needed. But IT isn't, I
don't think, one of them, with the exception of private SONET networks (fast disappearing in the face of metro
Ethernet).

 -mel beckman