nanog mailing list archives

Re: DataCenter color-coding cabling schema

From: Joe Hamelin <joe () nethead com>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 12:15:41 -0800

I know at Clearwire data centers we used gray for network, blue for
management and orange for RS-232 console.  At least for the initial build.
Later re-work or additions were whatever the tech had on hand ;)  They also
had labels on each end of each wire showing the path through the system,
sometimes up to six lines.  It did make it easy to bring up a data center
and find cabling errors.  To see the system last more than a year or two up
upgrades would take some strong rules and oversight.  I think it would be
worth it if your management system can keep the religion.

--
Joe Hamelin, W7COM, Tulalip, WA, +1 (360) 474-7474