nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 14:49:36 +0200

On 6/Jun/16 00:18, Matt Freitag wrote:

While it is damaging negative publicity it also makes sense. HE's tunnel
service amounts to a free VPN that happens to provide IPv6. I would love
for someone from HE to jump in and explain better how their tunnel works,
why it's been blocked by Netflix, and what (if anything) they are doing to
mitigate it.

For my part, I also found that my HE tunnel no longer worked with Netflix
because, again, it amounts to a free VPN service. I had to shut it off.

You use the word "free" like as though Netflix would not block a "paid
for" VPN service.

I don't think the commercial state of the VPN service matters.

Mark.