nanog mailing list archives

Re: Leap Second planned for 2016

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 18:37:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 10 Jul 2016, Saku Ytti wrote:

On 10 July 2016 at 00:12,  <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
It doesn't help that the POSIX standard doesn't represent leap seconds
anyplace, so any elapsed time calculation that crosses a leap second
is guaranteed to be wrong....

So how can we solve the problem? Immediately and long term?

Since one problem is that the leap second code isn't exercised regularily, I propose that each month there is a leap second either forward or backward. These forward/backward motions should be fudged to over time make sure that we stay pretty much correct.

If POSIX needs to be changed, then change it. By making leap second not a rare event, this would hopefully mean it'll get taken more serously and the code would receive wider testing than today.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se