nanog mailing list archives

IX ARP Timeout

From: Mike Hammett <nanog () ics-il net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 21:02:16 -0600 (CST)

So I'm looking at the policies, recommended configurations, etc. of other IXes. We try to model a lot of ourselves on
what the Europeans do (even if we come up short in some areas). I was reading through the AMS-IX guide.

https://ams-ix.net/technical/specifications-descriptions/config-guide#3.1

They recommend a four hour ARP timeout. Thoughts? Seems a bit excessive, but I don't have over 700 networks on my IX.
That said, I don't have over 700 members on my IX generating a ton of ARP traffic, so I'm probably fine recommending a
smaller value.

I understand it's a balance between stale records and ARP volume. Just trying to gauge what the community thinks.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com