nanog mailing list archives

Re: Another Big day for IPv6 - 10% native penetration

From: Neil Harris <neil () tonal clara co uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 11:26:12 +0000

On 02/01/16 15:35, Tomas Podermanski wrote:
Hi,

     according to Google's statistics
(https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html) on 31st December
2015 the IPv6 penetration reached 10% for the very first time. Just a
little reminder. On 20th Nov 2012 the number was 1%. In December we also
celebrated the 20th anniversary of IPv6 standardization - RFC 1883.

I'm wondering when we reach another significant milestone - 50% :-)

Tomas

Given the recent doubling growth, and assuming this trend is following a logistic function, then, rounding the numbers a bit for neatness, I get:

Jan 2016: 10%
Jan 2017: 20%
Jan 2018: 33%
Jan 2019: 50%
Jan 2020: 67%
Jan 2021: 80%
Jan 2022: 90%

with IPv4 traffic then halving year by year from then on, and IPv4 switch-off (ie. traffic < 1%) around 2027.

Neil