nanog mailing list archives

Re: Binge On! - get your umbrellas out, stuff's hitting the fan.

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 10:40:09 -0800

On Jan 11, 2016, at 10:31 , Jeremy Austin <jhaustin () gmail com> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 9:15 AM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com <mailto:owen () delong com>> wrote:

This is similar to Hughesnet's FAP (unfortunately named Fair Access Policy).

I've had some consumer success with this model. There are other fairness models that can augment it, however; it's
not my favorite.

What is your favorite?

Does a dog have the Buddha nature?

My favorite is actually having enough bandwidth to meet demand. What a concept. Ought to work for terrestrial; where
we run out of spectrum/bandwidth is in shared-medium last-mile.

That’s not a billing model… We were talking about billing models.

What’s your favorite billing model?

Pre-Title II classification, I had excellent success with per-flow equalization/fairness, but this is expensive and
makes bandwidth guarantees difficult to manage.

After, I've also had success with a) maintaining sane oversubscription ratios and b) using per-customer-class
fairness balancing, and c) some experimentation with FQ-CODEL, although this is less neutral and still a gray area —
at least until I understand it better.

Again, we are apparently talking apples and oranges. I’m talking about billing models and you’re talking about service
delivery techniques.

However, as I said, I consider everything to the right of AYCE on your “continuum” to be simply variations of
usage-based billing.

Sure, to a consumer who stays within their usage tier, their tier looks like AYCE (until it doesn’t), but it
certainly isn’t actually.

I agree.

How much uncapped LTE spectrum is needed before we can hit that 2Mbps per customer referred to recently?

I would assume quite a bit. There are 7 billion potential subscribers, so that’s 14 billion Mbps or 14 Petabits per
second world wide.

Heh. Gary said it better — it's about user density. All 7 billion aren't on one set of sectors.

The architecture for "repeaters", as Gary pointed out, is suboptimal, which is why we rely so heavily on Wifi, and
why the WISP world is up in arms over LTE-U. Or so it seems to me.

And NYC is just now getting wifi in the tunnels?

I apologize if this has grown off-topic.

Meh, most useful threads wander significantly.

Owen