nanog mailing list archives

Re: Arista optics

From: Karl Brumund <lists+nanog () brumund ca>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2016 14:43:24 -0500

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 11:39 AM, Alex Forster <alex () alexforster com> wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to get buy-in to go with Arista for some new infrastructure,
but the Arista optics just aren't in the ballpark for us at
"proof-of-concept" volume. In Cisco-land, we've had great success using
Finisar optics, and they've been an easy "sell" to management since many
Cisco optics are just rebranded Finisar's.

The relevant Arista optics I'm looking at are QSFP-100G-LR4 and
SFP-10G-LR. Does anybody know what supplier(s) manufacture these optics for
Arista? Alternatively, does anyone have any experience using third-party
comparable optics (especially the 100G) in the battlefield?

No 100G experience, but Flexoptix has been very helpful and accommodating.
Particularly with issues we had with 10G and certain server NICs.
Best support I've ever seen for optics in $jobs.

...karl

Since optics sales are pretty cut-throat, I do ask that you disclose if
you have a financial interest in any of your suggestions.

Thanks!

Alex Forster