nanog mailing list archives

Re: Advertising rented IPv4 prefix from a different ASN.

From: Stefan Neufeind <nanog () stefan-neufeind de>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 15:41:59 +0200

On 04.08.2016 21:39, Andrew wrote:
Hello List,

I work for a medium sized ISP.  We are entering an agreement to rent
some IPv4 space from a local higher education institution.  Being a
multi-homed ISP we would like to advertise the rented prefix from our
ASN.  The prefix that will be advertised is a smaller subnet from the
higher educations block; they will continue to advertise the larger prefix.

What is the best way to accomplish this?  Is there any way of doing this
without having to tunnel the traffic through the origin ASN?

I feel if we just adverse the prefix it get put on a bogon list for
prefix hijacking.  This space is rented long term but they are not
interested in reassigning the space to us.  They also want to keep
advertising their prefix as one contiguous block.

Make sure proper route-objects exist. Should be no big deal then imho.
Others do it as well - also advertising the larger block from one ASN
and a smaller portion of it from another.

Kind regards,
 Stefan