nanog mailing list archives

Re: Host.us DDOS attack -and- related conversations

From: James Bensley <jwbensley () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 15:40:17 +0100

On 3 August 2016 at 15:16, Alain Hebert <ahebert () pubnix net> wrote:
    PS:

        I will like to take this time to underline the lack of
participation from a vast majority of ISPs into BCP38 and the like.  We
need to keep educating them at every occasion we have.

        For those that actually implemented some sort of tech against
it, you are a beacon of hope in what is a ridiculous situation that has
been happening for more than 15 years.

At the risk of starting a "NANOG war" [1], BCP isn't a magic wand.

If I find a zero day in the nasty customised kernels that OVH run on
their clients boxes, I only need 300 compromised hosts to send 300Gbps
of traffic without spoofing the IP or using amplification attacks [2].

I can rent a server with a 10Gbps connection for 1 hour for a few
quid/dollars. I could generate hundreds of Gbps of traffic for about
£1000 from legitimate IPs, paid for with stolen card details. How will
BCP save you then? Can everyone stop praising it like it was a some
magic bullet?

James.

[1] A pathetic and futile one, so different from the rest.

[2] Subsitute OVH for any half decent provider that isn't really oversubscribed.