nanog mailing list archives

Re: GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2016 15:27:39 -0400

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 21:13:48 +0200, Niels Bakker said:
* baldur.norddahl () gmail com (Baldur Norddahl) [Mon 11 Apr 2016, 21:02 CEST]:
They should stop giving out coordinates on houses period. Move the
coordinate to the nearest street intersection if you need to be that
precise (I would prefer nearest town square). Anything more than that
should be illegal.

That's going to make USPS's and FedEx's lives a lot harder.

Are they in the habit of delivering to a location identified by an IP
address?  I've never managed to get either one to deliver to anything
other than a street address (and in fact, we recently had to assign street
addresses to all the buildings on campus because too many GPS-based programs
only work on street addresses, not building names).