nanog mailing list archives

Re: NetFlow - path from Routers to Collector

From: "Roland Dobbins" <rdobbins () arbor net>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 06:08:25 +0700

On 2 Sep 2015, at 0:55, Avi Freedman wrote:

Looking at probably 100 networks' flow paths over the last year, I'd say 1 or 2 have OOB for flow.

Far fewer have it than should, agreed. A reasonable compromise is VLANs, VRFs, and so on to at least keep it out of the data-plane of the production network.

But for folks seeing DDoS, we implement rate-limiting of the flows/sec via local proxies
to avoid overwhelming network capacity with the flow data...

A lot of networks do that - they collect the flow telemetry relatively topologically near their edge routers which are exporting it, do distributed analysis (depending upon what tools they're using for collection/analysis), and then the analysis results are what's long-hauled - and this is much less than the raw flow telemetry volume.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net>