nanog mailing list archives

Re: [outages] Akamai Cert Issues today

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 14:42:05 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "coolhandluke via Outages" <outages () outages org>

-We're wondering what happened yesterday to break all these
disparate
websites

note that this is *by design*, as sean pointed out.

the "fix" is simple: don't use https on www.irs.gov. any ssl pages
served by the irs as served on different hostnames.

as to why your users just started it, nfi. my best guess is that they
weren't using https previously.

Well, "more people may be using HTTPS-Anywhere" may have something to
do with it.

Or, it might be that some new browser release just enabled HTTP/2.0, which
in many implementations *requires* SSL and might also trip this, as noted
in a posting on the topic which I just inadvertantly posted to this same
mailing list 5 minutes ago.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com