nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPTV providers in IN/Chicago

From: Mike Leber <mleber () he net>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 07:28:47 -0700

Because selling transport is really good revenue for facilities based carriers everywhere and the revenue per deal is higher than selling the same amount of Internet access (even if the bits are going to the other side of the planet).

Consider that 1 Gbps metro ethernet layer 2 transport circuit might be between $1500 and $3500 per month (wild guess) and the commodity residential gige Internet access is is starting look like it's going to be between $70 and $350 per month.

A transport sale is good money they can pick up off the ground just by saying yes. I'm sure if you were a sales rep you'd like selling metro ethernet loops for the larger commissions and the larger customers that it got you involved with. If you were a regional sales director for a carrier you'd especially like how these help your sales group more quickly make your numbers. These deals are priced to pay for extending the physical plant as well.

Any carrier that doesn't help a customer with a transport request ends up effectively sending that customer to a competitor, with the result the customer then pays the competitor to extend their physical plant to the customer's location in the original carriers territory.

Mike.