nanog mailing list archives

Re: Bufferbloat related censorship at Virgin Media

From: Dave Taht <dave.taht () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 16:14:33 -0800

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 4:04 PM, Jack Bates <jbates () paradoxnetworks net> wrote:
On 3/1/2015 5:28 PM, Dave Taht wrote:

My IP address is apparently now banned from accessing your site at
all, for "advertising", on this thread:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Up-to-152Mb/Bufferbloat-High-Latency-amp-packet-loss-when-connection/td-p/2773495

I don't see how codel is related to the customer complaint from their
perspective. The problem appears to be high latency on downstream with
little to no upstream. I'd probably call it off-topic advertising. The only
thing that seems to relate to codel is the user's use of bufferbloat in the
topic. Nothing the user can do will fix the downstream to my knowledge. Not
that I'm extremely knowledgeable on the subject.

It is 100% possible to fix excessive downstream buffering from some
misconfigured device with a shaper on the download  *on the CPE or
home router*.

I have been doing that for 15 years. So has everyone that uses nearly
any of the shapers that are available for Linux, at least.

http://burntchrome.blogspot.com/2014_05_01_archive.html

doing it yourself, right, requires a good measurement, and you lose
just a little bit of single-flow bandwidth - typically 5% - but you
get it all back with faster tcp ramp up times, huge improvements in
dns lookups, voip, gaming, and other traffic.

it generally works way better than policers do.

Jack

--
Dave Täht
Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb