nanog mailing list archives

Re: Broken SSL cert caused by router?

From: Joe <jbfixurpc () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 17:54:44 -0500

You might want to look at some of the documentation on that device.
Looks like it might be doing some proxy stuff.

Regards,
-Joe

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 5:38 PM, Mike <mike-nanog () tiedyenetworks com> wrote:
Hi,

    I have a very odd problem.

    We've recently gotten a 'real' ssl certificate from godaddy to cover our
domain (*.domain.com) and have installed it in several places where needed
for email (imap/starttls and etc) and web. This works great,  seems ok
according to various online TLS certificate checkers, and I get the green
lock when testing using my own browsers and such.

    I have a customer however that uses our web mail system now secured with
ssl. I myself and many others use it and get the green lock. But, whenever
any station at the customer tries using it, they get a broken lock and 'your
connection is not private'. The actual error displayed below is
'cert_authority_invalid' and it's "Go Daddy Secure Certificate Authority -
G2". And it gets worse - whenever I go to the location and use my own
laptop, the very one that 'works' when at my office, I ALSO get the error.
AND EVEN WORSE - when I connect to my cell phone provided hotspot, the error
goes away!

    As weird as this all sounds, I got it nailed down to one device - they
have a Cisco/Meraki MX64W as their internet gateway - and when I remove that
device from the chain and go 'straight' out to the internet, suddenly, the
certificate problem goes away entirely.

    How is this possible? Can anyone comment on these devices and tell me
what might be going on here?

Mike-