nanog mailing list archives

Re: Searching for a quote

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 21:28:35 -0400

On Mar 12, 2015, at 20:44 , Larry Sheldon <larrysheldon () cox net> wrote:
On 3/12/2015 19:20, Jason Iannone wrote:

There was once a fairly common saying attributed to an early
networking pioneer that went something like, "be generous in what you
accept, and send only the stuff that should be sent."  Does anyone
know what I'm talking about or who said it?

Postel's Law:  Be generous in what you accept; strict in what you send.*

*From aging memory, but I think that is close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle

Be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you accept from others (often reworded as "Be conservative in what
you send, be liberal in what you accept").

--
TTFN,
patrick