nanog mailing list archives

Re: FCC form 477 geocoding

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost () snowman net>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 19:11:11 -0500

* Jay Hennigan (jay () west net) wrote:
The CFO here is working on FCC form 477 and tells me that he needs to
enter census tract and block information for our customers. He says that
the US Census site is worse than useless and the info isn't on the FCC
site.

The US Census Tiger data set is available from their FTP site in
Shapefile format.  PostGIS (the spatial extension to PostgreSQL)
includes the Tiger geocoder which can be used to geocode addresses,
based on that Census data.

The PostGIS Tiger extension also includes scripts to load the data into
a PostGIS-enabled PostgreSQL database.

If there are questions about the geocoder, I can try and answer them, I
had a hand in writing it.

        Thanks!

                Stephen