nanog mailing list archives

FW: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

From: "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund () medline com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2015 18:59:16 +0000

That's simply wrong - at least for folks who do any work related stuff at home.

Consider:  I've just edited a large sales presentation - say a PPT deck with some embedded video, totaling maybe 250MB
(2gbit) - and I want to upload that to the company server.  And let's say I want to do that 5 times during 12 >hour
day (it's crunch time, we're doing lots of edits).

BUSINESS CLASS SERVICE - You can get it but you have to pay for it.  Also, not the average user's case.  I know this.
My support line does not ring with many (hardly any) people complaining about upload speed.  Get over it, it is a
provable fact. Is any service provider on here seeing this?

On average, we're talking 20gbit/12 hours, or a shade under 500kbps, if we're talking averages.  On the other hand, if
I try to push a 2gbit file through a 500kbps pipe, it's going to take 4000 seconds (67
minutes) -- that's rather painful, and inserts a LOT of delay in the process of getting reviews, comments, and doing
the next round of edits.

On the other hand, at 50mbps it takes only 40 seconds - annoying, but acceptable, and at a gig, it only takes 2
seconds.

Peak, average, whatever.  Your local loop does not care.  It does not have a "burst speed", it has a maximum transfer
rate limited by the physics and electronics attached to it.  You might want it to go faster and as a service provider I
wish it would go faster because I would love to have lots of free bandwidth to sell you.

If you want 50 mbps or 1 gbps on your ADSL circuit I can't help you at all.  In fact, no one can because IT IS NOT
POSSIBLE TODAY.  If you want gig Ethernet service at home break out your checkbook (and a shovel).

So, tell me, with a straight face, that "what matters is average transfer rate to the user experience."

Miles Fidelman

Straight face on- The user cares if his average data rate meets his needs more than he cares if he has a high upload
speed the once a month he needs that.

If your bottom line argument is that you need more bandwidth for less cost, then welcome to everyone else's world.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL