nanog mailing list archives

Re: Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

From: Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 14:36:46 -0700

On 6/10/15 2:27 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 2:16 PM, Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us
<mailto:dougb () dougbarton us>> wrote:

    On 6/10/15 2:00 PM, Ted Hardie wrote:

        Lorenzo has detailed why N=1 doesn't work for devices that need
        to use xlat

    ... and it's been well demonstrated that this is a red herring
    argument since the provider has to configure xlat for it to have any
    chance of working.

        or which might want to tether other devices;

    ... and this argument has been refuted by the word "bridging."

​To repeat Valdis' question:​

    ​And the router knows to send to the "front" address to reach the
    "back" address, how, exactly? Seems like somebody should invent a
    way to assign a prefix to the front address that it can delegate to
    things behind it.  :)​

I saw that, he was refuted by others, most notably by the simple fact that bridging works now in IPv4, so obviously there is a way to make it work.

I think PD is the right answer here of course, but that doesn't mean that bridging is the wrong answer.

​The other option would, of course, be "bridging" plus IPv6 "NAT", and I
assume you see the issues there.​

No, actually I don't. I realize that you and Lorenzo are part of the rabid NAT-hating crowd, but I'm not. I don't think it's the right answer here, but I don't think it's automatically a problem either.

​Back to the question I asked before:  does "static" solve the stated
problems without "single"?

It *could*, but Lorenzo actually does have a point when he talks about not wanting to cripple future application development. I'd also like to see a rough outline of an implementation before commenting further.

Meanwhile, DHCPv6 + PD solves all of Lorenzo's stated problems, but he won't implement it because "DHCP." That's not something you can engineer around.

Doug

--
I am conducting an experiment in the efficacy of PGP/MIME signatures. This message should be signed. If it is not, or the signature does not validate, please let me know how you received this message (direct, or to a list) and the mail software you use. Thanks!