nanog mailing list archives

Re: Android (lack of) support for DHCPv6

From: Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 14:23:37 -0700

On 6/9/15 1:27 PM, Joel Maslak wrote:
Agreed - apparently the solution is to implement SLAAC + DNS advertisements
*AND* DHCPv6.  Because you need SLAAC + DNS advertisements for Android, and
you need DHCPv6 for Windows.

Am I the only one that thinks this situation is stupid?

No, you're not. Some of us have been saying that requiring RA is a bad idea, and that adding features to it is a bad idea, for over 15 years now.

Unfortunately the anti-DHCP crowd hasn't budged, no matter how many operators have told them that they cannot manage an IPv6 network with the current state of the protocol.

Doug

--
I am conducting an experiment in the efficacy of PGP/MIME signatures. This message should be signed. If it is not, or the signature does not validate, please let me know how you received this message (direct, or to a list) and the mail software you use. Thanks!