nanog mailing list archives

Re: eBay is looking for network heavies...

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2015 22:57:29 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Hamelin" <joe () nethead com>

Back in 2000 at Amazon, HR somehow decided to have me do the phone
interviews for neteng. I'd go through questions on routing and what not,
then at the end I would ask questions like, "Who was Jon Postel? Who
is Larry Wall? Who is Paul Vixie? What are layers 8 & 9? Explain the RTFM
protocol. What is NANOG?" Those answers (or long silences) told me
more about the candidate than most of the technical questions.

Original RFC editor.  Invented Perl, among other things.  Co-designed DNS
(did I get that right?)  I personally always label layers 8, 9, and 10
as money, management and inside counsel, but I know views differ.  I don't
RTFM, I google.  It's often faster, so many of TFMs are online now.

And this... is NANOG!

What's my starting rate?  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com