nanog mailing list archives

Re: AWS Elastic IP architecture

From: Måns Nilsson <mansaxel () besserwisser org>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 19:44:29 +0200

Subject: Re: AWS Elastic IP architecture Date: Thu, Jun 04, 2015 at 01:16:03PM -0400 Quoting Christopher Morrow
(morrowc.lists () gmail com):
On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 5:11 AM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
I’d argue that SSH is several thousand, not a few hundred. In any case, I suppose you can make the argument that
only a few people are trying to access their home network resources remotely other than via some sort of
proxy/rendezvous service. However, I would argue that such services exist solely to provide a workaround for the
deficiencies in the network introduced by NAT. Get rid of the stupid NAT and you no longer need such services.

This is an interesting argument/point, but if you remove the rendevous
service then how do you find the thing in your house? now the user has
to manage DNS, or the service in question has to manage a dns entry
for the customer, right?

Or something.

you'll be moving the (some of the) pain from 'nat' to 'dns' (or more
generally naming and identification). I think though that in a better
world, a service related to the thing you want to prod from outside
would manage this stuff for you.

Possibly.

It's important (I think) to not simplify the discussion as: "Oh, with
ipv6 magic happens!" because there are still problems and design
things to overcome even with unhindered end-to-end connectivity.

You have successfully demonstrated that users will need some locating
service. More so with the cure-all IPv6; because remembering hex is hard
for People(tm).

You have, however, not shown that all the possible ways of building a
locating service that become available once the end-points are uniquely
reachable (and thus, as long as we're OK with finding just the right host,
identifyable) present an equal level of suckage.

I believe that while the work indeed can be daunting for a sufficiently
pessimal selection of users, the situation so improves (if we look at
simplicity of protocol design and resulting fragility) when the end-points
can ignore any middleboxes that the net result, measured as inconvenicence
imposed on a standard End User, will improve.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668