nanog mailing list archives

Re: Data Center Network Monitoring with TAPs

From: Kristian Francisco <kristian.j.f () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 21:11:40 -0700

I'm designing the first phase of a datacenter network monitoring project
for my company. We are starting with SPAN at access layer and plan to
control traffic volume using filtering, slicing, de-dupe, etc. There are
instances when we need to do capacity/delay analysis on L2 traffic and
Ixia, APCON, Emulex etc. are coming out with flow generators for SPAN/TAP
traffic.

We may decide to go with TAP in the future as we found a vendor that was
willing to implement functionality to allow us to offload flow generation
from our access/distribution/core devices by creating templates based on
the source device/interface. In essence, to our monitoring tools, netflow
traffic will seem as if it is coming from the real device.

Best Regards,

Kristian J. Francisco