nanog mailing list archives

Re: Dual stack IPv6 for IPv4 depletion

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:20:08 -0700

On Jul 15, 2015, at 11:32 , David Conrad <drc () virtualized org> wrote:

Hi,

On Jul 14, 2015, at 8:53 PM, Karl Auer <kauer () biplane com au> wrote:
Space was handed out more or less willy-nilly - so some US
organisations ended up with multiple A-classes each, while later on all
of Vietnam got one /26.

IIRC (I was running APNIC at the time), when the first organization from Vietnam approached APNIC for address space,
we allocated a /22 to them and reserved the /16 from which that  allocation was made for other ISPs in Vietnam (as
was the policy back then).

That's the big difference - IPv6 has been designed to provide abundant
address space.

There is no amount of fixed address space that can't be consumed with stupid allocation policies.

True. However, are you making the argument that any of the current or proposed allocation policies are, in fact, stupid
in such a way that this is likely?

If so, which ones?

If not, then how is that relevant to the current discussion of what to do in terms of deployment given existing
policies?

Owen