nanog mailing list archives

Re: Debian RWHOIS

From: Bryan Holloway <bholloway () pavlovmedia com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 00:18:31 +0000

On 7/8/15, 7:05 PM, "NANOG on behalf of Ricky Beam"
<nanog-bounces () nanog org on behalf of jfbeam () gmail com> wrote:

On Wed, 08 Jul 2015 18:12:47 -0400, Jeff Walter <jwalter () weebly com>
wrote:
he basically told me RWHOIS was dead

It is most certainly NOT dead. It is, and always has been, a very small
userbase. SWIP has always been a pain in the ass. Modern web-ized methods

are more acceptable, but still an ugly mess. But, that said, so are all
the (r)whois implementations.

In eons long past, I ran an rwhois server. It was almost infinitely
easier
to convert our address management database (text file) into rwhois zone
data. And since the only reason to do any of this crap was for address
requests -- once or twice a year, the reduction in man hours dealing with

SWIP was greatly rewarded.

³Dead² is probably not the right word. Perhaps ³obsolete² is better.

Do people still use it? Yes.

I installed and ran it in the early aughts when that was ARIN¹s
requirement for requesting IP blocks when we outgrew those given to us by
UUnet.

It was a giant pain in the butt importing all of our data into it, but we
did, down to the customer /29s, and I patiently waited for ARIN to query
it to meet our obligations.

Finally, one day, I saw a query. One query. (One ping only.) And it
worked, and we got our /19.

So is rwhois dead? Perhaps not. Is it something I would invest any time or
effort into? No.