nanog mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Windows 10 will share your Wi-Fi key with

From: Robert Drake <rdrake () direcpath com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 13:13:40 -0400

On 7/7/2015 5:39 PM, Joe Greco wrote:
Unclear at best. The way it is implemented, the user has the potential to go either way. A network might not want the user to have the choice, clearly, but there is certainly a subset of users who will opt out of the feature and I cannot see how those would be in violation of any sane network usage policy. It's certainly a mess in any case.
Now that windows mobile and desktop versions are converging, I doubt there is a way to really tell if a device is a PC or a phone or a tablet. Some network administrators banned mobile phones from wifi connections because of Google's password storage violating their security policy.

Now administrators don't even get that knob.

We could fix it in a couple of ways (or, they could fix it.. depending on who pushes around money and if anyone cares enough to bother):

1. Wifi sends password policy during handshaking. If you save passwords you aren't allowed to connect here (or, you aren't allowed to backup/share this password) but we will allow the user to connect. This can be transparent to the user and handled by the OS.* 2. The client device sends "I am configured to backup/share passwords" to the wifi. This allows the AP to either deny the user outright, or redirect them to a page explaining what is wrong or whatever. This might be accomplished via DHCP option if we want to keep it all in software.

* The fact that we need an IEEE level fix for a security problem created by Google and then propagated by Microsoft is just pathetic. These are two companies that should know better than to do this.

... JG