nanog mailing list archives

Re: AT&T U-Verse Data Setup Convention

From: Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 09:14:04 -0700

On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 9:02 AM, Keith Stokes <keiths () neilltech com> wrote:

I’m wondering if some can share their experiences or maybe there’s an AT&T
person here who can confirm policy.

I work for SaaS provider who requires a source IP to access our system to
businesses.

That is probably a problematic practice.

Normally we tell the customer to request a “Static IP” from their
provider. That term makes sense to most ISPs.

However, we’ve recently worked with an AT&T higher-up tech who told us
that every U-Verse modem is locked to an address even when set to DHCP and
will not change unless the unit is changed. Ordering a “Static IP” from
them means your devices will individually get public addresses, which isn’t
a requirement for us, isn’t quite as easy to add multiple devices and costs
our customers more money.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it really accurate that the customer’s address is tied to the
modem/router?

2. For my curiosity, is this done through a DHCP reservation or is there a
hard coded entry somewhere?

3. Do all U-Verse modem/routers behave the same way? This particular unit
was a Motorola but the friends I’ve seen with U-Verse use a Cisco unit.

---

Keith Stokes

AT&T addressing has been detailed here in some ways.

I am not sure how accurate it is or at what state this has been deployed

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2188898/lan-wan/at-t-demands-we-change-our-networks.html

But, it is possible that AT&T does not have IPv4 static addresses to assign.