nanog mailing list archives

RE: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

From: "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund () medline com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 22:52:57 +0000

What is that statement based on?  I have not seen any outcry for more symmetric speeds.  Asymmetry in our networks
causes a lot of engineering issues and if it were up to the carriers, we would much rather have more symmetric traffic
patterns because it would make life easier for us.  Remember that most carrier backbones are built of symmetric
circuits.  It would be nice but the users generally download more than they upload.  That is the fact.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL

The demand may not be symmetrical, but where demand exists, it is often for symmetrical speeds.

Side note:  Did I not read that asymmetric paths tend to exacerbate Buffer Bloat?

James R. Cutler
James.cutler () consultant com
PGP keys at http://pgp.mit.edu