nanog mailing list archives

Re: interconnection costs

From: James Bensley <jwbensley () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 17:07:51 +0000

On 22 December 2015 at 19:11, Reza Motamedi <motamedi () cs uoregon edu> wrote:
Thanks guys for the replies.

I wanted to clarify two things in my questions. First by peering I did not
necessarily mean "settlement free" interconnection. I meant any inter-AS
connection. My understanding is that in addition to the cost of transit that
should be paid to the transit provider, there also exists the cost of the
xconnect that is charged by the colocation provider. Secondly, my question
was more about the expenses, as opposed to the technical costs/benefits. I
have browsed through the "Peering Playbook", but I think its more about
providing a case "settlement free" peering.

Dude, how are you going to weigh up the costs and benefits of peering
if you don't include the "costs". I refer you back to the same
documented I referred you to yesterday...