nanog mailing list archives

Re: Binge On! - And So This is Net Neutrality?

From: Hugo Slabbert <hugo () slabnet com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 11:41:41 -0800

On Thu 2015-Dec-10 13:32:25 -0600, Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net> wrote:

Once upon a time, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com> said:
On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 1:07 PM, William Kenny
<william.r.kenny () gmail com> wrote:
> is that still net neutrality?

who cares? mobile was excepted from the NN rulings.

Any why the desire for extra regulation for Internet services?

Shippers (you know, actual Common Carriers) do things like this all the
time, especially when they are busy (congested).  I had a package ship
Tuesday; it sat at the receiving location for 24 hours before the first
move, then it reached my city early this morning, but since I didn't pay
extra for timed delivery (and the shipper doesn't have special
arrangements), it didn't go on a truck today.  I should get it tomorrow.

I could have paid more to get it faster, and some large-scale shippers
have special arrangements that seem to get their packages priority.  How
is this different from Internet traffic?

Your package being delayed was based on your service level (what you paid for the service) not the contents of your package or the sender's identity.

If we're going to get into the details of the sender's relationship to the shipping company (i.e. "(and the shipper doesn't have special arrangements)"), note that situation is more analogous to traffic where both the sender and receiver are getting transit from the same provider. If there were two shipping companies (sender uses shipping company A; receiver uses shipping company B, and A & B hand off to each other), the situation would be closer to the discussion.

--
Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>

--
Hugo

hugo () slabnet com: email, xmpp/jabber
PGP fingerprint (B178313E):
CF18 15FA 9FE4 0CD1 2319 1D77 9AB1 0FFD B178 313E

(also on Signal)