nanog mailing list archives

Re: Devices with only USB console port - Need a Console Server Solution

From: Dylan Ambauen <dylan () ambauen com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 15:23:00 -0800

Ftdi USB to Serial / Rs232 Console Rollover Cable for Cisco Routers - Rj45
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M2SAKMG/ref=cm_sw_r_em_awd_HnHzwb7XCEQAV

This is an active cable. Not passive.

Any USB to serial converter will probably do it.

---

Dylan Ambauen
On Dec 7, 2015 2:16 PM, "Erik Sundberg" <ESundberg () nitelusa com> wrote:

We have one of these nice new and fancy Cisco ASR920-24SZ, just realized
it doesn't have an RJ45 Console port only USB. When we deploy devices at
our pop we wire the console port to a terminal\console server, well that
doesn't work for a usb console device.

So what is everyone doing for out of band management via the console when
it's a usb only device?
Is there something I am missing?
Is there a console server for USB?
Does cisco make an USB to RJ45 Jack adapter?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files
or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain confidential
information that is legally privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended
distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to
this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this
transmission in error please notify the sender immediately by replying to
this e-mail. You must destroy the original transmission and its attachments
without reading or saving in any manner. Thank you.