nanog mailing list archives

Re: Modem as a service?

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 13:22:52 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 7 Dec 2015, Larry Sheldon wrote:

I'll join the confusion--I thought the OP wanted to test for power availability at the distant site by seeing if a modem there would answer the phone there. That it HAD to be a modem in that case makes no sense to me.

Presumably, the modems are already there (setup to answer) as a means to access the OOB console servers in the case of a network outage. "Does it answer" is just a simple way to tell "is the power out, and everything's dead, or is there a network problem that's caused us to lose visibility?"

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route