nanog mailing list archives

Re: Quakecon: Network Operations Center tour

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 18:43:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 2 Aug 2015, Dave Pooser wrote:

I wonder if that would be a reason for the relatively anemic 1Gb Internet pipe-- making sure that a DDoS couldn't push enough packets through to inconvenience the LAN party.

I was involved in delivering 1GigE to Dreamhack in 2001 which at the time (if I remember correctly), 4500 computers that participants brought with them.

Usually these events nowadays tend to use 5-20 gigabit/s for that amount of people, so 2x1GE is just not enough. Already in 2001 that GigE was fully loaded after 1-2 days.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se