nanog mailing list archives

Re: Exploits start against flaw that could hamstring huge swaths of Internet | Ars Technica

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck Nether net>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 14:57:10 -0400

On Wed, Aug 05, 2015 at 02:39:18AM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:

In message <9C2ACA5A-755D-4FCF-8491-745A1F9111BA () puck nether net>, Jared Mauch writes:
I recommend using DNSDIST to balance traffic at a protocol level as you can h=
ave implementation diversity on the backside.=20

I can send an example config out later for people. You can balance to bind N=
SD and others all at the same time :-) just move your SPoF

Jared Mauch

Unless the same client hits the same server all the time this is a
bad idea.

        Software that can't handle the remote side having a
upgrade/downgrade/capability change is broken.

Resolvers actually track capabilities of servers as it is the only
way to get answers due to firewalls dropping legitimate packet and
protocol misimplementations.  Add to that different vendors /
versions supporting different extensions randomly flipping between
vendors / versions is frought with danger unless you take extreme
care.

        I've come to use DNSDist to workaround the problems
that BIND has with outstanding queries which don't get a response.

        You might be surprised how poorly BIND performs if you
use something else to take a look at it from the exterior.

        http://puck.nether.net/~jared/dnsdist.png

        The first two are BIND the 3rd is not and the 4th is BIND.

        The last 3 get the same types of queries, notice how BIND
drops lots of queries.  I don't have time to report all the DNS related
issues on bind-users/dev but you may find it helpful to use a tool
like this to at least identify what is going on.

        The last 3 servers get only domains like arpa and a few well
known domains, eg: gmail.

        - Jared