nanog mailing list archives

Re: update

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 13:22:57 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Medcalf" <kmedcalf () dessus com>

The problem is, before it is an entirely correct statement to assert
that a zero entropy system never develops new vulnerabilities, you
have to expand the boundaries of the "system" to include the entire
planet.

Incorrect. The whole planet does not directly affect the system. Well,
that is not entirely true. There could be an earthquake that knocks
the building down. Presumably you have mitigations in place for that
-- usually a continuity and recovery plan. The planet could also be
struck by a meteor causing an extinction level event to occur. There
would probably be no need to mitigate that.

"The Internet is the only endeavour of man in which a single-character
typographical error in a file on a computer on the other side of the
planet *which you do not even know exists* can take your entire business
off line for the better part of a day."

-- Someone, in the wake of the (I think) Turkish YouTube BGP hijacking;
    damn if I remember who.  I might be embellishing.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com