nanog mailing list archives

Re: Linux: concerns over systemd adoption and Debian's decision to switch [OT]

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 14:22:08 -0400

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 13:43:03 -0400, Lamar Owen said:

Now, I've read the arguments, and I am squarely in the 'do one thing and
do it well' camp.  But, let's turn that on its head, shall we? Why oh
why do we want every single package to implement its own initscript and
possibly do it poorly?

Umm.. because maybe, just maybe, the package maintainers know more about
the ugly details of what it takes to start a given package than the init
system authors know?

If they botch the boilerplate section of an initscript, maybe they shouldn't
be releasing packages.  On the other hand, the *non*-boilerplate section of
the initscript is something that *only* the package maintainers are qualified
to write.