nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why is .gov only for US government agencies?

From: Eric Brunner-Williams <brunner () nic-naa net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 19:47:15 -0700

having written the technical portion of winning proposal to ntia for the .us zone, i differ.

as i recall, having done the research, in the year prior to the ntia's tender some six people held some 40% of the major metro area subordinate namespaces. to my chagrin, relieved by a notice of termination days before my stock in the company vested, the winner adopted a "orange-black" model, deprecating the namespace's existing hierarchical registration model for a flat registration model.

the registration process model for .us is dissimilar to the registration process models of .edu, .mil and .gov, as are the contractors to the government.

-e