nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Default Allocation - What size allocation are you giving out

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 07:34:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 9 Oct 2014, Erik Sundberg wrote:

I am planning out our IPv6 deployment right now and I am trying to figure out our default allocation for customer LAN
blocks. So what is everyone giving for a default LAN allocation for IPv6 Customers.  I guess the idea of handing a
customer /56 (256 /64s) or  a /48 (65,536 /64s) just makes me cringe at the waste. Especially when you know 90% of
customers will never have more than 2 or 3 subnets. As I see it the customer can always ask for more IPv6 Space.

/64
/60
/56
/48

Small Customer?
Medium Customer?
Large Customer?

/56 per residential customer, /48 per corporate customer. If you're doing server hosting or alike, I'd do /56 per customer there as well, even if the first lan is only /64, because after a while you'll find out that they want to run virtual machines and want you to route /64:s to them instead of bridging. You definitely want to do this so you don't have to keep a huge ND table for all those IPs that your customer will be using in the future. I'd set 20 ND entry limit per LAN where you have equipment, and if the customer wants to use more concurrent addresses, then they have to accept that you route the networks to them. This is true for all types of customers.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se