nanog mailing list archives

Re: Buying IP Bandwidth Across a Peering Exchange

From: Gregg Berkholtz <gregg () tocici com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 20:45:46 -0800

Be careful joining an IX just to peer with Google (AS15169) and a few others...especially if your exchange doesn’t have
route servers established.

Some companies, such as NetFlix, have a truly open peering policy; establishing a bilateral BGP session with them is
super-straightforward.

On the other hand, Google’s actively-enforced policy requires you already exchange 100Mbps+ w/ their netblocks: upon
requesting a session they’ll monitor/check related traffic for a few weeks before following up on your initial request.

More details: https://peering.google.com/about/peering_policy.html

As for transit across IX fabric, I know that HE.net is at least willing to discuss such a possibility (just started
this exact discussion with their NOC last night), although they discourage it for reasons pointed out by others in this
thread. On the other hand, with a willing transit provider, if you prepend your AS a few times…an IX's fabric makes a
very cost-effective failover.

Gregg Berkholtz