nanog mailing list archives

Re: DDOS, IDS, RTBH, and Rate limiting

From: Brian Rak <brak () gameservers com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:53:09 -0500

On 2014-11-22 18:00, freedman () freedman net wrote:
We see a lot of Brocade for switching in hosting providers, which makes
sFlow easy, of course.
Oh, Brocade, recent experience with ServerIron taught me new lesson, that i can't do bonding on ports as i want, it has limitations about even/odd port numbers and
etc.
Most amazing part i just forgot, that i have this ServerIron, and it is a place where i run DDoS protection (but it works perfectly over "tap" way). Thanks for reminding
about this vendor :)

I just hope you're not talking FCX's.... if you upgrade those to 8.x firmware, you'll lose sflow on the 10gb ports. Once you upgrade, they send a corrupted sflow packet, and at *far* less then the rate that you configure. Even if you adjust your parser to compensate for the corrupt packet, they're still dropping the large majority of samples, making sflow pretty much useless.

It's been several months since we reported this, and we're still waiting on a fix.