nanog mailing list archives

Re: Transit, Exchange Point Agreements, and Acceptable Use?

From: Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () mykolab com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 07:13:40 -0800

On 11/21/2014 7:09 AM, Siegel, David wrote:

Most written peering agreements have a clause that says you can't
provide that data unless required to by authorities and only in
compliance with applicable local law.

The article says that's still an open question:

"Channel 4 News has been unable to establish whether Reliance
Communications was served with a warrant to authorise this and the
company has not responded to our calls."

Right, I noticed that bit. :-)

Cheers,

- - ferg

Dave

-----Original Message----- From: NANOG
[mailto:nanog-bounces () nanog org] On Behalf Of Paul Ferguson Sent:
Friday, November 21, 2014 7:59 AM To: NANOG Subject: Transit,
Exchange Point Agreements, and Acceptable Use?

I'll apologize up front if this offends anyone's sensitivities as
to what is relevant for list conversation... but one sentence in
this Channel4 News story (from what I understand, Channel4 is a
very popular news source in the UK) struck me as perhaps in
violation of some sort of peering and/or transit agreement. Cable
and Wireless:

"...even went as far as providing traffic from a rival foreign
communications company, handing information sent by millions of
internet users worldwide over to spies."

The entire article is here:

http://www.channel4.com/news/spy-cable-revealed-how-telecoms-firm-worked-with-gchq

 My question is this: Do willful actions such as these violate
peering, transit, and/or exchange agreements in any way?

Thanks,

- ferg

- --
Paul Ferguson
VP Threat Intelligence, IID
PGP Public Key ID: 0x54DC85B2
Key fingerprint: 19EC 2945 FEE8 D6C8 58A1 CE53 2896 AC75 54DC 85B2