nanog mailing list archives

Re: I am about to inherit 26 miles of dark fiber. What do I do with it?

From: Jeroen Massar <jeroen () massar ch>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:40:54 +0100

On 2014-11-10 15:35, Rob Seastrom wrote:

While short and to the point, what Fletcher said is likely to be the
best advice in this thread.

Getting someone on staff who understands *both* outside plant
architecture and balance sheets...  and can co-develop a business
model that involves the lateral build-out from the six POPs around
town without going broke is the hard part.

"Six POPs, six strands, MPLS backbone vs. selling waves" could be the
concept for the opening lines to a sad country song where the
protagonist doesn't realize that the long pole in the tent is the
making the edge work (someone please run with this and get a musical
lightning talk at San Antonio!)

+1 on both the good advice and the proposal of the musical talk :)

Greets,
 Jeroen